Friday, 6 March 2009

General Musings of Distance Learning

It is quite ironic that distance learning is this week’s topic, as it is only now that I have started to realise how much I took going to IRL lectures and seminars for granted (as most of you know I am on placement). There are many advantages to distance learning but there are also many disadvantages. From my experience so far it is an interesting and I would say innovative (rather than being ‘radical’) learning domain and experience, compared to that of the traditional f2f lectures we are used to as students. However, I would agree with Rachael Foster’s comments in her post ‘Blogging 6 weeks later’ http://rachaelfoster.blogspot.com/ whose blog I was looking at earlier; I wouldn’t choose to learn this way again, or ever do a full distance course like those at TVUs in China for a number of reasons. Although I know I have chosen to go on placement, I do miss having direct f2f communication with tutors and peers, and I need to keep my motivation up to do NMC work- even if it is in an evening after work. It is self paced learning, but there are still deadlines to meet and it is still difficult to juggle the work between other organized working hours- I’m sure most of you will feel the same having to work round the scattered lecture slots, plus doing all the work for other units.

It must be remembered though, that this is only my view of distance learning from the experience I have had so far, and others may have different views. I would imagine it to be of great use to a stay at home parent who wants to further themselves or a mature student for example. It all depends on the individual I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree, that although blogging has been an experience, I do prefer real life interaction/seminars. I feel that this way is more time-consuming, but maybe there needs to be more work to constitute for the lack of 'meatspace' meetings/seminars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an ex-Open University student myself, I think you're right about motivation -it sure ain't easy. (The O.U. was the global model for almost all subsequent 'national' distance learning provisions) But in China and the developing countries, the rewards are relatively much greater. As a country develops its economy outside of a colonial structure, it generates a massive increase in middleclass managerial jobs -and qualifications are needed (often including the ability to read/'speak' English (as the global business language). This is much more motivation that young Brits can experience.

    You are also right about life experience too. Whilst with the O.U. I met several people who had no choice about learning. If they wanted to be able to change their lives through education and what it could bring, they HAD to choose distance learning, and the best was the O.U.(at that time, it took most O.U. undergraduates 10yrs to graduate!).

    ReplyDelete