Friday, 20 March 2009

Week 9: A- The oldest digital native I know

I find this extremely hard to answer as the more I consider the ‘Digital Divide’, the more the edges are blurred between natives and immigrants. However, the oldest native I know is a woman who is 25 years old. Every day she works with a range of technology and never seems to have trouble using it. When she returns home at night she will check her Facebook and IM friends (if she has time). She will use a range of other technologies with ease such as the microwave and oven for dinner and the television to watch her favourite drama series. Constantly the phone or her mobile will be to hand. Using these is just second nature to her, and never has to think of how to use them- she instinctively knows! The only problem occurs is when a piece of technology breaks. It is only at this time she realises how simple technology can make tasks, and how much we consume in our everyday lives for both entertainment and general living.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think the 'age' categorisation of native is absurd. It might be better to talk of a minimum period of immersion and acclimatisation (sort of like becoming a '(astro)cybernaut' rather than a native? The rest of us might fly, but we've never been weightless or space-walked)

    ReplyDelete